There are people on the internet who know a million more things about this show than I do, but I will share a few observations:
- Juri is pretty fantastic. I think Stellvia’s Ayaka was an attempt at a character like this that fell a little short because her motivations are all wrong (Juri is a lot like Utena in many ways, but is driven by different things and so becomes a different person/character). Also, props to her for wearing pants to a formal party (and making it look good).
- Touga is made of bawss sauwss. There is no qualifier here, the guy is pretty awesome.
- While the symbolism attached to Utena’s uniform is pretty hamfisted, I love that Ikuhara really follows through with the idea of it as emotional armor/definition. The fact that Utena sticks to her guns as a woman and a prince is strengthened by the conceit. It’s also worth mentioning that Juri also isn’t caught dead in a skirt (although, there is some interesting subtext going on there).
- I love the way everyone’s eyes look. All the shots of people’s faces make me fall in love with them. *swoon*
- The show is so fantastically 90’s. I mean SO 90’s.
This has little to do with feminism strictly, but since Utena is super-important, I figure I’d share some general thoughts. Given all the crazy symbolism and the fact that I’m not done with the Black Rose arc, I’m holding off any more thoughts. Also, I fucking LOVE the OP.